Thursday, October 17, 2013

Mr Sandman bring me a Dream - NaBloPoMo

How long does it take you to fall asleep at night?

Sleep is something we don't learn to appreciate till the day we struggle to get any, be it quality or quantity. I never thought I would be one of the people who suffers from insomnia but I had weeks and weeks of sleepless nights. It all began when we started trying to conceive; we knew we were going to have some difficulties but we didn't expect years and years of waitng and disappointments. We dedicded to give IVF a try. If you're not familiar with IVF it's a procedure that requires the woman to take different combinations of medications to stimulate the ovaries to produce larger quantities of follicles and at the same time take different meds that will suppress the ovaries from actually ovulating so the dr can retrieve the eggs through a procedure. All the hormones I was taking messed up my natural hormones. Top that with the fact that the procedure was a total bust, we got out of it with no baby and 15k short. The stress and total disappointment of this procedure caused me to start having panic and anxiety attacks specifically at nights. I hated my life during this period. I was physically sick from lack of sleep. I ended up seeing a dr who ran all sorts of blood tests only to tell me there's nothing Physically wrong with me.. Thank you??? He prescribed a very very mild sleep aid that I only took 5 pills out of he whole prescription. I did use and still occasionally do use NyQuil and Benadryl or Tylenol PM when I feel it's going to be a difficult night.

I had to make changes to my daily routines to be able to go to sleep at night, every night. Now I have a bedtime routine. First I try to limit my caffeine intake to before noon. I don't drink coffee, I drink green teas so my caffeine would come from soda if I have any or sweet tea. I take my showers at night cause hot water makes me sleepy. I eat dinner early. I rarely go out at night, my bedtime starts at around 9:30 p.m. I try to be in bed no later than 10:30 p.m. I tried sleepy time tea for a while but usually any tea with chamomile is also a diuretic so it kinda defeats the whole point of helping you sleep if you have to wake up often to use the loo. We took the clock out of the bedroom so in case I wake up at night I can't check the clock to see how many hours I slept and how many I still need. I prayed a lot. The phones also stay out of the bedroom. All electronic devices go on silent mode starting 10 p.m. We don't watch tv in he bedroom anymore. I use a white noise app on my iPod at night (this iPod is not connected to any social or music media apps, its whole function is to be a noise machine and thermostat control). I don't take naps. 

Nowadays my sleep is somewhat regular as long as I stick to my schedule and night time habits. Don't get me wrong my sleep is choppy i wake up at least once or twice a night but i'm able to fall back to sleep within an hour and the best part is if i'm unable to i don't panic. I do get a little bit of anxiety when I have to travel or sleep somewhere unfamiliar and that is when I rely on the Tylenol PM and Benadryl. I do get 6 to 8 hours of sleep every night. It can take me anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour to fall asleep. My husband is able to fall asleep in 2 seconds so most nights I go to bed before him, he follows an hour or 2 after I sleep. He's the best, He tucks me in and makes sure I'm asleep before he comes to bed. 

I had a lot of support from my family and my friends during my insomnia phase, they were all sending me positive thoughts and suggestions. They sent me books. They were there at the wee hours of the morning when I couldn't sleep. Today I have great empathy for people struggling to get some sleep. If the me "now" can tell the "10 year old" me one thing it would be to take advantage of all the naps while they are possible. 

4 comments:

  1. I'll have to start trying a routine. My current routine stinks. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went one week without being able to sleep once. I actually looked like the actors in those zombie movies. It was horrible. I was shaky and couldn't think straight and had no idea what anyone was talking about. After my stroke I had to deal with insomnia, but that one time was the absolute worst! I was taking my regular sleep meds too, which was awful because I couldn't sleep but I was still taking the nightly meds. I was a wreck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The longest I've gone without sleep is close to 48 hours and I got physically I'll from lack of sleep, I can't imagine a week without sleep, I would be hospitalized probably :(

    ReplyDelete