Sunday, May 6, 2012

Coastal Canvas Art

I was busy this weekend making some fun art for our entryway. Inspiration came while reading one of my favorites blogs http://www.itsoverflowing.com/ i came across this great tutorial for a do it yourself canvas art.

Here's the finished product.


Now for the tutorial. Everything you need is at Michael's. I got 2 packs of 12x12 canvas, they were buy one get one free. I already had the blue acrylic paints. You will also need sponge brushes, contact paper and a sketch pad.  I love coastal themes (that's what out master bathroom is). I never really sketched much before but it turned not to be that hard except well for the octopus; i had to trace that one (shhhhhhhhhh).

Starfish 
Octopus
Coral

After finishing the sketches i cut out the contact paper the same size as the sketches then taped it to the canvas.

I painted each canvas 3 coats of a different shade of blue. Don't forget to paint the sides of the canvas.

I let the paint dry overnight then i carefully peeled the contact paper off the canvas. In a few spots the paint
had bled so i used a chalk marker to clean it up.

Our entryway is a nautical blue color that wouldn't really go well with the paintings so i repainted it Glidden Eloquent Ivory; Yes, i'm that committed!!!! I'm so pleased with how everything looks now, Thanks Aimee for the inspiration. Now i gotta go shop for a table or bench that goes in the entryway.



No comments:

Post a Comment